Downer works hard to embed sustainability into the way Downer delivers services and operates its business.
Our sustainability approach focuses on environmental, social and governance sustainability. Our sustainability governance approach drives and supports our activity in environmental and social sustainability.
Our Sustainability Governance Group (SGG) comprises influential leaders across our organisation who work together to implement sustainability initiatives and generate engagement in these activities
An example of how we generate engagement is the formation of our Young Professionals Sustainability Governance Group who capture the ideas of our people starting out in their careers with us to provide fresh thinking and challenge to our SGG.
Central to our sustainability approach is our Zero Harm philosophy, which at Downer means supporting the health and safety of our people, minimising environmental impacts and supporting the community.
Our environmental sustainability focuses on:
- Our environmental responsibility
- Our climate change commitments: decarbonising our activities and vehicle and fleet emission reduction initiatives
- Our waste reduction, recycling and reuse initiatives
Our social sustainability focuses on:
- The cultural and identity diversity across our business
- Our people and their safety at work
- Our people and their career development
- Our people and their health and well-being
- Our communities where we work and how we can support their sustainability and improve the lives within them
Social sustainability is broad and connects closely with environmental sustainability.